Friday, December 7, 2007

A Question

What do you think about drugs?

If you ever ask anyone that question, I think they will probably respond with another question. Well, what do you consider a drug? Today the only legal substance that can really alter your state is alcohol, and some people consider that a drug. Others think that pot is a drug but even though it is illegal, it doesn't really count. And from that point on the slope get slippery.

I feel like your answer to this question can really show what kind of person you are. Not necessarily your morals or how good of a person you may or may not be, but what kind of ideas you have about life and how it should be lived.

Tonight after work, I went to Unos, with about 10 other people I work with. And the average person had 3-4 20+ ounce beers or a few glasses of wine within about 3 hours. The idea that many Outback employees unwind after a long day like this could either lead one to believe that the Outback employees are alcoholics (considering after these drinks all of them drive home and honestly believe they are sober) or just people who really need a lot to unwind.

While we were there tonight many things were happening. Just like always, several boys ( I purposely call them boys because of their strangely limited maturity even though they are over the age of 20 and most even over the age of 25) did their best to pick up certain girls in the group. But there was more.

In many restaurant situations you will find drug use. Not even limiting themselves to pot or drinking, many people do ecstasy or mushrooms or cocaine and prescription pills. Maybe even crack, but I am so naive I hardly have even heard of the substance. Even though people do those things pretty regularly, they hide the names and pretend that when they are messed up they have either had too much to drink or have smoked a little too much of that natural substance that even I believe should probably be legal.

But tonight, there were a few too many situations where I was wondering why these people were acting so bizarrely. (I think I spelled that totally wrong.) I tried to pay attention to what they were doing and I really didn't understand. Some people think that I say random things sometimes and act a little weird, but my behavior is never altered by any other substance but alcohol, so sometimes I am honestly confused by what is going on around me.

What makes people so outgoing and honest that they will talk to every girl as though they are the only one in the room? They will hit on each one and move to the next as though the previous one is not right there to hear what is going on?

What makes people so easily agitated that they are willing to threaten strangers?

What makes people say random and almost crazy things and not worry about who is around them to judge them?

What kind of substances are so ridiculously amazing that people will drive for hours late into the night just to get a little bit more?

And why do people feel like life cannot fully be lived without something to enhance it?

I'm sure there is a reason for everything, there are different limits for different people, and there are times where the every day life just isn't quite satisfying enough. But doesn't it get scary to think that you can't go through the day without depending on something?

2 comments:

Michelle and the City said...

so true. but i think it's hard for us to relate to that because we've never done it. once you get involved with those kinds of substances, the wanting/needing/depending probably feels very real for them. but i'm happy to say my life is pretty damn awesome without it.

graffiti.girl.designs said...

hi..i found you through michelle. she got me hooked on blogging too. i had to say hi at least because i just read mostly all of your blog. happy blogging! ps: the name of your blog reminded me a song that i have been trying to remember for a suuuuper long time.thanks! :)